How-to guides for creative people
In my work as Creative Content Director for The Creative Independent, I’ve been developing a series of practical guides aimed at demystifying some of the more opaque processes and obstacles encountered by creative people. Each guide is written by a subject expert, and aims to collect their hard-won wisdom in an easy-to-digest format so that others can learn from their knowledge and experience. It has been incredibly rewarding to edit and produce these guides, and to work with illustrators to create custom identities for each one. If you have an idea for a guide you’d find useful (or if you yourself would be interested in writing a guide!), feel free to shoot me an email: willa [at] thecreativeindependent [dot] com.
Explore our entire guide series here, or peruse a few of my favorites below:
- An artist’s guide to financial planning, by Lewis Weil of Money Positive, with illustrations by Qiong Li
- How to make a book, a guide by Naomi Huffman and authors from MCD x FSG publishers, with illustrations by Na Kim
- How to work with galleries and collectors as an emerging artist, a guide by Patton Hindle with illustrations by Qiong Li
- How to be included on Wikipedia, a guide by Amber Berson, produced in partnership with the Art x Feminism Edit-a-thon, with illustrations by Dean Sudarsky
- How to apply for grants, produced in collaboration with Creative Capital, written by Marianna Schaffer, with illustrations by Molly Fairhurst.